Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Frock for Frocktails!

I know, I know, I said I'd be back Thursday with a dress post.  Yes, I know today is Sunday.  Woops! This week has been a crazy one and the days just ran away from me.  But I'm here now so onto the dress! I apologise in advance for the photos. My camera died before I went to Frocktails so Corey took these half asleep at midnight when I got home.

mccalls 6320 one shoulder shouldered dress cocktails cocktail frocktails cotton pique mccalls 6320 one shoulder shouldered dress cocktails cocktail frocktails cotton pique

As you know I was lucky enough to attend Frocktails in Melbourne last weekend.  One stipulation of the event was that everyone sewed something to wear.  I chose to make McCall's 6320.  Coincidentally I actually bought this pattern the last time I was in Melbourne.

mccalls 6320 one shoulder shouldered dress cocktails cocktail frocktails cotton pique mccalls 6320 one shoulder shouldered dress cocktails cocktail frocktails cotton pique

Originally I was going to make this dress up in a completely different fabric.  Unfortunately, I decided to leave it to the last minute and then realised too late the pattern had princess seams.  Given the fabric I had chosen had a diagonal stripe I was confident I could execute it to the standard I would like in such a short amount of time.  So a quick last minute trip to Spotlight brought me this fantastic cotton pique that was just perfect!  For a little point of interest I decided to make the pockets out of purple.  I was deciding between a few different colours but the purple seemed the most prominent in the print so it was the clear winner.

Frocktails Dress

Of course that meant I had to use a purple zip.  Even though I know hardly anyone will see it these little pops of colour keep me happy.  It's the little things in life!

Frocktails Dress

The pattern is meant to be lined but I decided to leave it unlined so it wouldn't be too thick to wear during Gold Coast summers.  Instead of lining it I finished my neckline, hem and sleeves in bias binding.  I am a big fan of this method! It is so quick and easy and I always have bias binding in my stash.  And that my friend is my frocktails stories over.  Until next year which a little birdie told me is going to be in Sydney.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I love responding to all comments and do so via email. If you email is not visible in your blogger profile please make sure you leave it in your comment. Kat xx