Today I finally finished a sewing project that crossed off a couple of firsts for me. My first vintage sewing pattern and my first pair of shorts. Making a pair of shorts was one of my goals for my 101 in 1001 and I am so happy I can cross it off my list. To start sewing with vintage patterns was one of my new years resolutions for this year. It has only taken me half the year to get started on that goal. Woops! I have another 2 in my stash I want to make as well before the year is out.
Sewing shorts was not as difficult as I expected it to be. These are not the most perfect pair of shorts in the world but they fit without any alterations which I was surprised about.
I used New Look 6252 which I bought from the op shop for $2. The material was purchased at Spotlight about a year ago and I can't for the life of me remember what sort of fabric it is. I know it is something the usually use to make school shorts. It is extremely soft which makes them super comfortable.
I am really happy with how these shorts turned out. They made me realise that no matter how scary I think a sewing project is if I just jump in and give it a go I can make anything.
I was going to make a scalloped hem on the shorts but I had a bit of difficulty with it and decided to leave it for another garment. Because I was imagining them with scalloped hems once I finished them they looked a little boring. I added in the black bow for the photos but I am thinking of possibly adding some black trim to the hems and pockets but I am not sure yet.
Although a nice pair of basic shorts would work quite well in my wardrobe so maybe I will just leave them plain. We'll see!