Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Homemade Ginger Syrup

Last long weekend while we were visiting the Sunshine Coast we stopped in at the Ginger Factory.  I grabbed a massive chunk of ginger while we were there because I had seen this recipe and thought it would be fun to try.  Last night I decided to whip it up and oh my lord is it easy.  You basically chop the ginger, chuck it in a pot with some sugar and water, bring to the boil and leave it for a good hour and a half.  Then go about your day getting other stuff done and when you come back you simply have to strain it and you have a delicious syrup to mix with some soda water.

Ginger Beer

I am thinking that this will be delicious in summer possibly with a little vodka and a slice of lime. Yum! I think I might grab a bunch of ginger closer to Christmas and make up some syrup to add in with presents.

Homemade Ginger Syrup for Ginger Ale

recipe from Imbibe Magazine via Joy The Baker

makes 2 cups ginger syrup

2 cups coarsely chopped ginger

2 cups granulated sugar

6 cups water

Place chopped ginger in a food processor (or blender in a pinch) and pulverize until well chopped.

Place ginger, sugar, and water in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 1 hour to 1 hour and a half, until the liquid has reduced down by more than half. You’re going from 6 cups of liquid to 2 cups. The boiling syrup will become glossy and silky as it cooks down and nears completion.

Remove syrup from the flame and strain twice through a cheese cloth, or fine mesh strainer, into a large bowl. Let syrup cool slightly before pouring into a bottle to store. Cool completely before incorporating into drinks.






5 comments:

  1. such an easy recipe! And ginger is super healthy. All the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I am a complete sucker for ginger syrup, soda and lime :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep meaning to make some of this with all the wild ginger in my yard.I think it's peeling and chopping ,holding me back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm I love ginger! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely going to have to try this one - I love ginger!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I love responding to all comments and do so via email. If you email is not visible in your blogger profile please make sure you leave it in your comment. Kat xx