Friday, May 17, 2013

Mustard Flared Blouse

If you have been following along with my Me Made May outfits on instagram you would have seen this new top yesterday.  Yesterday was a bit of a gloomy, cold day on the old GC.  Luckily it was an at home day so I spent the morning bumming around in my pj's until I finished this top to wear.

mustard yellow peplum flared flare blouse top shirt floral butterick 5890 mustard yellow peplum flared flare blouse top shirt floral butterick 5890

The pattern I used for this top is Butterick 5890 which the lovely Lizzy picked up for me in their last pattern sale.  I made view B without the collar because I wanted the front to be cut on the fold rather than 2 pieces.  I also preferred the look of the shorter sleeves on version B.  When I first tried this on I wasn't sure of the neckline.  It's a lot higher than what I usually wear and I was worried it looked a bit funny.  The longer I wore it though the more I liked it.  For my next version, however, I think I will lower it slightly as the fabric I want to use has a large scale print so it might be a bit overwhelming.

mustard yellow peplum flared flare blouse top shirt floral butterick 5890 mustard yellow peplum flared flare blouse top shirt floral butterick 5890

My two favourite things in this top are the sleeves and the bias bound zipper seam.  The sleeves are lined which saves you having to hem them which saved a lot of time and created a lovely clean finish.  The instructions included for the zip were not a way I had ever tried so I decided to give it a go.  You basically basted the seam shut then sewed the zipper onto the sewn seam and unpicked the basting afterwards.  Afterwards I decided to bind the seam with some pink bias binding.  I think it looks pretty cool against the yellow.

mustard yellow peplum flared flare blouse top shirt floral butterick 5890 mustard yellow peplum flared flare blouse top shirt floral butterick 5890

Again, with this top I tried to make the inside just as neat as the outside.  This is a little personal goal of mine for this year.  It's taken me a while to realise that the more care I take with the finishing the longer my me mades are going to last.  Sometime last year I had this epiphany but I was still lazy with finishing.  My garments were only neat inside when I could be bothered.  But this year I am trying to make all my makes neat and tidy inside and out.  So far I am doing pretty well.  I am so happy with how this top turned out that I am already planning a second version.  For a person who never makes tops I think I will be rectifying that gap in my me made wardrobe very soon.

4 comments:

  1. The fit on this is UHMAYZING, and it really is just as beautiful on the inside (if not prettier...pink bias binding on the yellow zipper is pretty freakin' fabzorz)! Massive kudos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fit and AWESOME fabric! This is simply stunning, Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic on you, and I love the pink/yellow combo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blouse looks SO awesome on you!! Very flattering. And the inside is SO NEAT!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I love responding to all comments and do so via email. If you email is not visible in your blogger profile please make sure you leave it in your comment. Kat xx