Saturday, July 23, 2011

Dirty Thirty Weekend

This weekend we have two 30th birthdays to attend. Last night was Corey's brother in laws birthday and we had a small gathering and a pizza party at their house. I was asked to bake a cake shaped like the number 30. My only provision was that it had to be chocolate.

Ben's 30th Birthday Cake

I made a chocolate mudcake (recipe from Crabapple Bakery) and covered it with a basic buttercream. I was going to make chocolate buttercream but I ran out of cocoa so vanilla had to do. Then I covered in smarties! Now just a word of warning if anyone thinks of doing this I used 4 family sized bags of smarties. That's a lot of smarties to separate into colours then place one by one on a cake. It took forever!!!!

The Birthday Boy

But the birthday boy was very happy with it when we arrived so that made all the time and effort well worth it. Happy Birthday Benny Boy!!!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks great! :) Time consuming though! Although I kinda like doing stuff like that :)
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always bake such gorgeous cakes, and this one is no exception!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have decided, Kat, that you are I are going to be the very best of friends and you're going to bake me delicious chocolate cakes. That is amazing!

    Also, congratulations on your entry on "Polka Dot Bride", the story is really beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fab! Bet it tasted great too. Did it take forever to cover it in smarties? They look amazing in rainbow stripes. My mum did a similar thing for one of my boys birthdays, but she just randomly stuck the colours on.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I love responding to all comments and do so via email. If you email is not visible in your blogger profile please make sure you leave it in your comment. Kat xx