Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sushi Cake

Sushi Cake

This past weekend was my friend Lex's birthday and I got to make him a cake.  Lex loves his sushi so I immediately thought of making this cake tutorial that I first saw about 12 months ago.  I have been wanting to make it ever since but didn't know who to make it for.  I was pretty stoked to finally have a chance to make it.

It was pretty easy to put together and it didn't take very long at all.  The only issue I found was that the green portion of roll ups is not as wide as it used to be so I had to use a bit of the yellow portion around the bottom.  To try and make up for this I tinted the icing under the roll up green to try and make it look a bit more green then yellow.

Sushi Cake - Roe

I did make one slight change as well.  I was a bit worried with how the jelly would go because I didn't want it to melt in transit.  So I sent an email to the lovely Cathie of Melbourne Epicure and she suggested making gummies with jelly which is basically just jelly with extra gelatine so they set hard and don't melt.  Cathie was kind enough to share some links with me and I ended up using  this recipe.  It worked perfectly but I wouldn't suggest making them to eat.  I made Corey try one and they tasted pretty gross.  They were a bit too hard and the extra gelatin diluted the flavour too much.  But I didn't mind I just wanted it to look right.  Lex was so impressed when he saw the cake so I was pretty happy.  There is nothing you can ask for more than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I love responding to all comments and do so via email. If you email is not visible in your blogger profile please make sure you leave it in your comment. Kat xx