Tuesday, December 11, 2012

70s Summer Dress

A little while ago I did a swap with the lovely Reana Louise and she sent me a gorgeous 1970s dress pattern and some lovely orange fabric.  Well I finally got around to making the dress and I am in love.  It is going to be perfect for this hot summer we are in for on the Gold Coast.

1970s orange dress 1970s orange dress

The pattern that I had was a size smaller than I required so I did some dodgy grading to make it fit.  I have never graded a pattern before and since this dress has such basic pattern pieces I decided to just wing it.  Luckily for me it turned out perfectly.

1970s orange dress 1970s orange dress

I also made a minor alternation to the waist of the dress.  Instead of doing a tie waist I did a simple elastic waist.  I did this by sewing thin elastic straight onto the dress and stretching it as I sewed it on.  This way I can wear a belt with it.  I also raised the waist slightly from where it was on the original dress.  I am pretty happy with how this dress turned out.  I wore it this past weekend and it was super comfortable.  There may need to be another one added to the wardrobe to get me through summer.  I am thinking a cool tribal print or maybe a nice kelly green colour to wear with a gold belt and flats.

7 comments:

  1. Kat, I love, love, freaking love this dress on you! You did such a marvellous job and I hope it survives this crazy summer xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so stunning Kat, I can't believe you gave birth just 2 months ago!?! Anyway, this dress/pattern is a winner and you definitely need to make more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the coral colour on you! This looks like the perfect Queensland summer dress- well played with the grading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute dress and that color looks amazing on you! And I must say I simply adore your glasses too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That colour is perfect with your toning. You did a great job, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dress does look super comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kat you did a great job with this dress it really suits you and will be perfect for the hot weather we've been having.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I love responding to all comments and do so via email. If you email is not visible in your blogger profile please make sure you leave it in your comment. Kat xx