Monday, December 24, 2012

Mum's Christmas Present

Scallop Tote Bag

I have been wanting to share this bag with you guys since the minute I finished it. I am so in love with that I may need to steal it back from mum ;-) This is one of only 2 presents that I made for Christmas this year. But considering how long it took me to get this finished I would have had to start in June to get more presents done.
scallop tote bagscallop tote bag

I used this tutorial by See Kate Sew for the basis of the bag. I used her measurements to cut the main bag pieces, lining and handle. For the scallops I didn't use her template but rather traced around a cup on the wrong side of a piece of fabric. I then used this chalk line as my guide and sewed along it before trimming and turning my scallops right side out. I found this gave me a rounder finish on my scallops and I could make them a little bigger.

Scallop Tote Bag

I also didn't use her sewing instructions because I was too impatient to read the tutorial before jumping into the sewing. I just winged it but it turned out pretty good so I am happy. I love the colours in this bag. I may have to grab some more fabric to make myself one otherwise I really will want to steal this back.

The other gift I made this Christmas was to whip up a couple of this necklaces for my niece who is accessories obsessed. Did you make any gifts this Christmas?

4 comments:

  1. That bag is beautiful! I'll bet she loved it! Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't have it back. I shall hide it from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a super cute bag! Your mum must have loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat, this looks fabulous! I would so be ninjaing that bag back from your Mum STAT!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I love responding to all comments and do so via email. If you email is not visible in your blogger profile please make sure you leave it in your comment. Kat xx