Friday, December 14, 2012

Homemade Marshmallows

One of my advent calendar activities for this week was to make marshmallows.  I was a little bit nervous about making them because I had it in my head that they were going to be super difficult.  I have wanted to make them for ages but I was always too scared to tackle it.

Homemade Marshmallows

I am so glad I finally tackled this cooking goal because they are really delicious.  They are quite gooey which I though was because I made them so thick but mum said it's probably because of how hot it is at the moment.  I am going to try making these again in winter and see if they set a bit firmer.  But I quite like them gooey.

Homemade Marshmallows

So I made Corey hot chocolate on Monday night using this recipe and when I was making the marshmallows he asked me why I didn't make the marshmallows first so he could put them in his hot chocolate.  Clearly I didn't think about that when I was assigning the advent tasks to dates.  Oh well! Next time.

Homemade Marshmallows

Now in the spirit of full disclosure I must admit not all the marshmallows turned out as cute little hearts. This one took me 15 minutes to get out of the cookie cutter because it stuck to it.  Even though I dipped it in icing sugar first it still stuck.  So the rest of the marshmallows ended up looking like this....

Homemade Marshmallows 

Homemade Marshmallows via Donna Hay Kids Magazine

3 1/2 tablespoons gelatine
1 cup boiling water
3 cups sugar
1 1/3 cups liquid glucose
2/3 cup water (extra)
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 cups icing sugar
1/3 cup cornflour

Place gelatine and boiling water in the bowl of an electric mixer and set aside.  Place the sugar, glucose and extra water in a saucepan over medium-high heat and boil without stirring until soft-ball stage on a sugar thermometer.  

With the mixer running at a high speed, slowly add the hot syrup to the gelatine mixture.  Add the vanilla and beat for 12-15 minutes or until the mixture is thick and fluffy.  Pour into two 20cm square tines lined with non stick baking paper.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Sieve together icing sugar and cornflour.  Turn the marshmallow out onto a surface lightly dusted with a little of the icing sugar and cornflour mixture.  Cut into squares or use a cookie cutter dipped in icing sugar mixture to cut out shapes.  Marshmallows should be stored in an airtight container.

6 comments:

  1. I just made marshmallows for the first time as well. I was scared to but holy cow there so easy and good (maybe to good ha ha). I made "snow balls" by dipping them in dark chocolate and rolling them in coconut and sent a bunch off to by BFF for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: love the idea of cutting them out in a heart shape your one smart cookie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even know it was possible to make homemade marshmallows! They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your heart marshmallow, a shame the weather has been so hot so they were a bit sticky but I imagine it didn't alter the taste though:) I always wanted to give making marshmallows a try too but thought they might be too tricky but I'll have to give them a good too, maybe when it's cooler. Hasn't it been hot?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must, must give this a go :) I spotted it first on laura's blog^^ I never give marshmallows a second thought as something to make at home, but they look so yummy. Thanks for the recipe too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I've been dying to try homemade marshmallows and your post may have just pushed me over the edge. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I love responding to all comments and do so via email. If you email is not visible in your blogger profile please make sure you leave it in your comment. Kat xx